Are You Prepared to be Wrong?
If being wrong means:
ꔷ grocery stores are empty?
ꔷ the electrical grid is out?
ꔷ the water mains are dry?
ꔷ the rule of law no longer applies?
ꔷ chaos and violence are the norm?
ꔷ governmental services are no longer available?
Are You Prepared to be Wrong?
If being wrong means:
ꔷ we have peace and prosperity and financial stability?
ꔷ life continues pretty much as it has for the past 50 years?
Our focus is on making the kind of balanced and realistic preparations that used to be considered ordinary common sense in an unstable and unpredictable world. That means being able to carry on without being dependent on external systems for the basic necessities of life – regardless of what happens – or what doesn’t happen.
Our focus is on both Preparedness and Awareness.
Preparedness is about independence and self-sufficiency rather than obsessing over any specific scenario.
Awareness is about understanding potential threats to our way of life and how to deal with those threats. Think of it as an expanded version of Situational Awareness.
Empowering Our Community by Teaching Emergency Preparedness
We meet every second Saturday at
Crossroads Christian Church
3838 State Road 44
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
6:30 p.m. Social
7:00 p.m. Program
(See blog for notes & photos from previous meetings)
Program scheduling may be changed as needed according to what needs to be covered and when our speakers are available. Check back regularly for the latest schedule.
June 8, 2019
- Health and Sanitation – Disease is, historically, the biggest killer of all – and the most preventable.
- Medicinal Plants that grow in this area – How to grow them, and how to use them. An overview with more details in future meetings.
- Container Gardening, Part 1 – Anyone can grow something
July 13, 2019
- Container Gardening, Part 2
- Medicinal Plants & Essential Herbs – Plantain, St. Johns Wort, Mullein
- When to Plant in this area
- Items to Keep in your truck/car
August 10, 2019
- Container Gardening, Part 3
- Vegetable plants for container gardens
- Insurance Pitfalls – Real world stories from an insurance adjuster
- The importance of soil testing
September 14, 2019
- Radio work – Demo, testing, and drills outside the meeting building. Be sure to bring your radios for this one.
- Emergency radios – hand crank powered
- Faraday cages
October 12, 2019
- Fire starting – flint and steel, fire plow, tender, Dakota fire pit, dealing with rain and dampness.
- How to cook using a tripod and cast iron dutch oven and other cast iron utensils.
- How to make a brick rocket stove
- Alcohol stoves demo
November 9, 2019
- Making yeast
- Making lye from wood ash
- Making hard tack
- Making pemmican
- Making apple cider vinegar and the “mother”
- The importance of vinegar, baking soda, garlic, cinnamon, and red pepper
December 14, 2019
- Annual Christmas get-together – evening dinner
January 11, 2020
- Water – THE Most Important Prep
- How much you really need and where to find it
- Gutters, harvesting rain water, swimming pool, hot tub, ponds, filters, and purification
- How to find water in the wild
- Water storage and transportation options
- Barrels, jugs, kiddie pools, plastic containers
- Demo – making an improvised water filter from a water bottle
- Discussion on making a water filter from five-gallon buckets
- Food, Part 1 – How much do we need – Time, Souls, and Calories
- Food – Shop for the year, starting right now
- Food – Methods of storing overview – canning, buckets, dehydration, meals-in-a-jar, MREs, 30-day storage buckets
- Food – The 52 Week Method
February 8, 2020
- Duct Tape Uses
- Paracord Uses
- Fishing skills for ponds – Demo and supplies
- Food, Part 2 – Canning demo (possibly outside of regular meeting)
- Bucket storing techniques, O2 absorbers with type and volume, Mylar bags with type and models, bucket options
March 14, 2020
- Medical Review
- “AMP 3” video
- “AMP 3” contents
- Fish antibiotics, must-have books, home remedies, toothaches
- Stop the bleeding
- Using the Israeli Bandage – Hands-on practice session
- Treating for shock
- Using a tourniquet
- Uses for emergency/Mylar/Space blankets
- Herbal medicine essentials
- Wound Closure techniques
April 11, 2020
- How to make a blow gun and slingshot (have some fun with prep stuff!)
- Essential Knots and rope work
- Don’t forget breakfast and lunch
- Cooking with a Sun Oven – Demo starting earlier in the day
May 9, 2020
- To be announced
“…nuclear warfare is not necessary to cause a breakdown of our society. You take a large city like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago–their water supply comes from hundreds of miles away and any interruption of that, or food, or power for any period of time, you’re going to have riots in the streets. Our society is so fragile, so dependent on the interworking of things to provide us with goods and services, that you don’t need nuclear warfare to fragment us anymore than the Romans needed it to cause their eventual downfall.”
“The key to survival in anything – disasters, careers, and life in general – is being able to observe, understand, accept, and quickly adapt to radical changes. Preparedness makes the process smoother and easier.”