November 11: SECURITY “The BIG (UN)BANG THEORY”
Part I Personal Defense
Items demonstrated and discussed at this meeting:
- Slingshot (use ball bearing ammo)
- Edged weapons – IF you are well trained
- Walking stick – persimmon, black thorn, hickory, Chinese wax wood are good choices
- Baseball bat, axe handle, other tough wooden stick
Part II Home Defense in a SHFT event
- marbles or ball bearings in can attached to trip wire
- Tangle-foot can also be made using galvanized steel electric fence wire. Not anywhere near as effective as razor wire, but a small fraction of the cost, easier to work with, and affordable enough to secure larger areas. (Source: Tractor Supply)
- Solar powered electric fence (Source: Tractor Supply)
- Refer to FM 5-15 Field Fortifications for more ideas on how to secure an area.
- Crimsafe windows and doors provide both security and hurricane protection.
October 14: So You Think You’re Prepared? – The truth about food storage amounts and how much is really needed for a one year supply. Also, how to make lye and different yeasts and leavening agents using what nature provides in our area.
This program included lessons learned during Hurricane Irma.
- Pet pad to keep cool when sleeping
- Tent fan
- Shelf stable milk
- Solar battery charger
- Canned goods date – only infant formula has mandated expire date. “Use by” and “Sell by” are determined by the company.
- Dents on a can are OK as long as they are not on a seam.
- Botulism has a 50% fatality rate for cases not receiving medical treatment.
- Sun Oven – best to have two for cooking
- Cast iron works very well with a sun oven
- 1 year food plan
- Hormel Chili is listed by Hormel as having indefinite shelf life.
- Making baking powder
- Making Sterno-type fuel
- Making yeast
- Making flour from beans and nuts
- Pellet rifle for small game with low noise
- Herbal Recipes book by Rosemary Gladstar
- Essential Oils
September 9: Meeting cancelled due to Hurricane Irma
See Lessons Learned page to see how this turned out to be a good practical learning opportunity.
August 12: Water Matters, etc. – Water purification using pool shock chemicals, making soap papers, using drinking straws as small containers.
- Installing the Bison water pump – hand pump in the same well casing as a submersible electric pump.
- Bison water pump review
- Shallow well pump from Lehman’s
- Water purification – Dry High Test Hypochlorite (HTH) has unlimited shelf life, and is used to make liquid bleach which is used to purify water. (see also WHO docs)
- Straws – DIY mini-storage solution. Use the largest diameter clear drinking straws you can find. Examples
- Paper soap – adding liquid soap to dissolving paper
July 8, 2017: The AR15 and it’s Variants, and Accessories – including night vision options, both rifle mounted, hand held, and starlight type. It will include hands-on outside demonstrations.
- Meprolight M21 sight – recommended during the program.
- FLIR LS-XR <9Hz – brought to meeting by Stephen and demonstrated.
- Never use WD-40 (or any other penetrating oil) on a weapon
- Buffer tube to Receiver connection is the most fragile part of AR-platform.
- Tactical Preparation USA, Inc. – Plans are being made for a class to be taught here. Sign-up list has been started. Date and time to be announced.
- Blueberry Cobbler recipe – Laura was asked by several ladies for the recipe for the cobbler she brought to the meeting.