VCP Members – Please make sure that you have gone through these steps before the radio practice sessions. These sessions assume that you have already done this are are familiar with using your radio. Don’t get left behind.
The following applies to the Baofeng handheld radios that were part of the group purchases through VCP.
Quick set up of MURS and Weather channels for Preppers in 12 Easy Steps
- Turn top radio knob clockwise and adjust the volume during the short radio “mode” announcement.
- Ensure button lock is unlocked by pressing and holding the # key. Listen for “UNLOCK”.
- Press orange VFO/MR button. Listen for and set “CHANNEL MODE”.
- Press blue A/B button to activate top (A) channel (look for up pointed carrot in left column of display).
Note: when setting a specific channel, always press three digits. i.e. To set channel 3 press “ZERO, ZERO, THREE”.
- Set MURS channel 55 by pressing “ZERO, FIVE, FIVE”.
- Press blue A/B button to activate bottom (B) channel (look for down pointed carrot in left column of display).
- Set WX channel 100 by pressing “ONE ZERO ZERO”.
- Copy the current weather information, then:
- Press blue A/B button to activate top (A) channel (look for up pointed carrot in left column of display) Keep radio set on top (A) channel so as not to listen continuously to repeated weather information.
- Now you have your active MURS channel on top (A) and weather in standby on bottom (B) channel.
- Ensure button lock is locked by pressing and holding the # key. Listen for “LOCK”.
- With all buttons locked out you can now put the radio in a shirt pocket or purse without worrying about changing something by inadvertently pressing a random radio button. When desired turn top radio knob counter-clockwise to OFF.