November 11: SECURITY “The BIG (UN)BANG THEORY”
Part I Personal Defense
Items demonstrated and discussed at this meeting:
Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL. High powered, rechargable, strobe function. Source: Amazon
ASP P21 collapsible baton. Rugged, lightweight. Classified as a weapon for legal purposes. Source: Galls.com
Unbreakable umbrella, full size. Source: unbreakableumbrella.com
Unbreakable umbrella, collapsible. Source: unbreakableumbrella.com
Cold Steel City Stick. ADA prevents anyone from taking it away from you. Source: ColdSteel.com
Uzi tactical pen; Very tough, yet very affordable at about $16. (Proprietary refill is difficult to find). Source: Amazon
- Slingshot (use ball bearing ammo)
- Edged weapons – IF you are well trained
- Walking stick – persimmon, black thorn, hickory, Chinese wax wood are good choices
- Baseball bat, axe handle, other tough wooden stick
Part II Home Defense in a SHFT event
Climbing roses can be used as living razor wire. Beautiful flowers are a nice benefit. This white rose variety is called “New Dawn” and is known for having lots of very sharp thorns – far more than typical roses.
Razor wire configured as concertina. Current use in residential area is illegal. Understand that razor wire is extremely dangerous and can be lethal. Source: ebay
Razor wire gloves are REQUIRED for working with razor wire. Don’t even think about touching razor wire without these. Have at least TWO pair. Source: ebay
Trip-wire alarm using .22 blanks. Use with Spiderwire fishing line, moss-green, 30# test. Source: alarmmine.com/
- marbles or ball bearings in can attached to trip wire
- Tangle-foot can also be made using galvanized steel electric fence wire. Not anywhere near as effective as razor wire, but a small fraction of the cost, easier to work with, and affordable enough to secure larger areas. (Source: Tractor Supply)
- Solar powered electric fence (Source: Tractor Supply)
- Refer to FM 5-15 Field Fortifications for more ideas on how to secure an area.
- Crimsafe windows and doors provide both security and hurricane protection.